I haven’t posted any recipes lately because I usually forget to take a photo that can accompany the post. The photo above was taken with a cellphone and I was too hungry to take another, better angled one. I’m sure it’s still a shock to my family that I cook nowadays, especially food that doesn’t end up overcooked or mushy or stuck to the pot it was made in.
Hussam and I were craving some yummy home cooked Arab food, so we decided to make beryani for the first time. It was so so good. So I figured I might as well share it.
What you need:
- Boneless chicken. [We used four chicken breasts and cut them into smaller pieces]
- 2 and a half cups of rice. [Basmati or Thai rice should be fine.]
- 2 bigs onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed.
- t/spoon of cumin
- vegetable oil
- plain yoghurt
- crushed chilli [If you want it spicy]
What to do:
- Wash the rice and then soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Boil the rice in water containing tumeric and salt until it’s done. [We added beryani spice as well.]
- Cut 1 onion into quarters and place it into an electric blender with the crushed garlic, a t/spoon of oil and a little bit of water. Blend well until it’s a paste.
- Heat 5 t/spoons of oil and add the second onion after it’s been sliced.
- When the onions are done, place it on a paper towel and set it aside. [We waited ’til it was a little brown before taking it out.]
- Place some flour on a plate and add a t/spoon of salt, pepper and cumin. [We added crushed chilli as well to make it a bit spicy]
- Turn the chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
- Cook the chicken in oil and set it aside when it’s done,
- Put the paste in a wide pot. Cook on a low heat and add 5 tablespoon of yoghurt. [We added one tablespoon at a time and mixed it before adding another tablespoon. Add some lemon juice. a few t/spoons or half a lemon is fine, and 4 tablespoons of water.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces to the paste and cover the pot. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Before removing it from the heat, add a little tumeric and cinnamon.
- Grease the base of a rectangular oven dish. [We greased it with a butter.]
- Sprinkle a quarter of the rice into the dish so that it covers the bottom of the dish.
- Add the chicken mixture on top of the rice.
- Put the remaining rice on top.
- Add the sliced onions on top of the rice. [We also sprinkled on some oregano]
- Cover the dish well with aluminium foil. Place in a moderately hot oven for 30 minutes.
- When it’s done, turn the rice and the chicken mixture so that it’s mixed well.
There are different ways to make this dish, but this is just how we made it since there are certain spices that we like to add to almost everything. We added yoghurt and salad as a side dish which made it even better.
It’s an easy dish to make, and that’s coming from someone who used to forget how to make an omelette just a year ago. So don’t be put off by the list of instructions. 🙂